Monday, January 19, 2009

Standuplication

Standup.
Duplication.
Standuplication.

Sometimes a comedian will have a similar joke to another comedian's joke.

Similar.
Hilarious.
Similarious.

But if that situation arises because one of the comedians took the idea from the other, then that is no laughing matter.

Or rather, it's one laughing matter out of a potential two laughing matters, but one might argue that the non-laughing matter (or laughing anti-matter) cancels out the laughing matter, leaving the total once again at zero laughing matters.

(This mathematical assessment is, of course, only necessary in cases where a matter is not actually a full laughing matter.
Laughing matters are typically not referred to as such, but rather simply with laughter.)

But here, even if all the laughing is not canceled out of the matters, there is at most one laughing matter spread over these two matters, for an average of half a laughing per matter.

Half.
Laughing.
Halfughing.

Looks ugly, doesn't it? It should.
It's an ugly situation.

A laughing matter can be tainted to the point where its laughing doesn't matter, and that is no laughing matter.

Anti-matter.
Terrible.
Anti-matterrible.

It should be noted, however, that this is not an indictment of all situations where two comedians have similar jokes.
Many times, it is the result of parallel thought.

In my comedy, I strive for perpendicular thought, where my line of thinking crosses over all the other parallel lines, meeting them each briefly for a point, but continuing off into the distance, to the beat of my own drummer.
(My thinking is in the form of a parade of marching bands.)

Perpendicular.
Parade.
Perpendicularade.

But my thinking can't be perpendicular to everyone.
Sometimes I meet people who find me obtuse, but certainly there are those who find me acute as well.
Respect is a two-way street.
But unfortunately some streets are one-way.
And there are some dead ends.
And cul-de-sacs.

That will be all the street jokes I'll tell for now.

And if someone else has already made the jokes or points that this blog does now...

Wordplay.
Plagiarism.
Wordplagiarism.

...my apologies.

Mea culpa.
Cul-de-sac.
Mea culp-de-sac.

Good night, folks. I'll be here all week. Don't try the veal (I'm vegan, there isn't any).

No comments:

Post a Comment